|PREP TIME:||COOKING TIME:||Serves|
|10 mins||15 MINS||10|
- For the lentils:
- 1.2ltrs Salted water
- 500g Red lentils, washed
- For the 'Bolognaise':
- 75ml Oil
- 2 Onions, diced
- 3 Garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 Peppers, diced
- 2 tsp Chilli powder
- 3 tsp Ground cumin
- 2 tsp Smoked paprika
- 80g Tomato paste
- 1.2kg Chopped tomatoes
- 3tbsp Vegetable stock powder
- Salt, pepper and sugar, to season
- To serve:
- 10 Brioche buns, sliced and toasted
- 2 Little gem lettuce, washed and torn
- 1 White onion, sliced
- 20 Kerrymaid Vegan Slices
Bring a pan of well salted water to a boil and add the red lentils. Bring back to the boil and simmer for 7-10 minutes, until the lentils are tender but not mushy. Set aside.
Add the onion and garlic to a heavy-bottomed pan with a splash of oil and sweat until translucent.
Add the diced peppers and cook for a further 5 mins, stirring constantly.
Add the dry spices and mix well, then add the tomato paste and cook out for 2-3 minutes.
Add the chopped tomatoes and vegetable stock and heat until just bubbling (watch out, it will spit!).
Add the lentils and mix well. Check the seasoning and adjust as needed with salt, pepper and sugar.
To serve, toast 10 brioche buns and serve a large spoonful of lentil mix in each bun with Kerrymaid Vegan Slices, washed little gem lettuce and sliced sweet onion.
TOP TIP FROM OUR CHEF
- The lentil mix in this recipe is so versatile, try using in a Vegetarian Lasagne, layered with pasta sheets and Kerrymaid Bechamel, or serve with spaghetti topped with a sprinkle of Kerrymaid grated white.